"The Catastrophe of Pablo"(5th week)


THE CATASTROPHE OF PABLO
By: Phoebe Joy Cardinez

    It was early dawn in the fourth day of December and the southwest monsoon breezed coldly. I was awaken by the sound of the roof as it was strong blown by the wind. I curled on my bed but the noise is intolerable. I was forced to wake up and ignored the cold wind. I opened my cell phone and the clock said it was 5:45. Just enough time to prepare for school, I thought. But the weather seemed very bad. I remembered the news on the weather forecast from the PAGASA about the typhoon named ‘Pablo’. It was announced that he will enter here in Davao del Norte by the night of Monday but it landed a bit late. I never expected it to be too strong. As hours passed by, Pablo grew stronger; strong enough to dismantle some part of ours and our neighbor’s roofs and destroy the trees and plants. Yet we were still thankful because the wall of the building next to our boarding house covered us from the greater destruction.
Time has elapsed and the wind gradually decreased in its velocity. It was past noon but the sun still stayed hidden behind Pablo’s madness. I think of my family and decided to go home in Mawab. I worried so much because several news reported about the catastrophic effects of the typhoon in Compostela Valley areas. I immediately packed and waited for a bus but not a single bus has passed until 5:15 p.m. Along the way to Mawab, the destruction was highlighted by the distorted houses and uprooted trees. The great flood was remarked by the river we have passed almost reaching the bridge. These damages I saw made me more worried to my family.       
       When I got home, the damages at our place welcomed me. My brother’s house was badly disfigured by the uprooted coconut tree. The main wire connecting our house was cut and the roofs in our kitchen were blown away. The typhoon disrupted our livelihood and destroyed our crops. But we were thankful because we remained unharmed and stayed protected by the loving grace of God amidst the disaster we have faced. The fact that we have survived that day is more than enough blessing to cherish. As a verse in a Bible goes, “All things work together for my good”.        

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll

About this blog

Follow Now.......!

Blogger templates

Blogger news

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Ads 468x60px

Popular Posts

Followers

Featured Posts Coolbthemes